[Release] [CPC] Name Tags

ToejaM

[CPC] Name Tags 1.0

Allows you to identify close range players who are in your line of sight.

Installation:

• Download cpcnametags.sqf
  • Put cpcnametags.sqf inside your root mission folder
  • Edit your init.sqf and add the following code to the bottom of the file
// CPC Nametags
[] execVM "cpcnametags.sqf";

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz82av8FTeY

Details:

• You must look directly at your target.
  • It does not work through obstacles.
  • It does not work on free look or over obstacles in 3rd person.
  • Limited to a range of 5m (customizable).
  • Your target must be alive.
  • Works with all versions of DayZ and likely all mods for Arma.

To change the range edit this bit of code in the cpcnametags.sqf on line 6

if((isPlayer cursorTarget) && (alive cursorTarget) && (side cursorTarget == side player) && (player distance cursorTarget < 5)) then {

Change the number "5" to the desired value.

Planned features:
Humanity Value under a certain range.
Blood value if holding a blood bag/other item and not in combat.

Still considering the implications of adding extra information to the features. All suggestions welcome.

Created by: [CPC] ToejaM

Download Link

Its the main reason I looked into scripting and actually wrote this. As only the owners of CPC have admin ESP due to it being too tempting, it made it impossible for other admins to see who the theives were at the traders, so this makes the admins job even easier :)

While it doesn't 100% prove a thief as youd really need to video your inventory, then the guy next to you and then your inventory being robbed for 100% accurate proof it certainly helps with seeing a trend of theft with players and reports of theivery.

My goal is to add a very close range humanity monitor aswell, as we removed bandit/hero orbs as at night you could see them miles off.. a close range humanity meter should work great.

I'll also add in a blood monitor if you have for example, a bloodbag in your hand so you can see if someone needs bloodbagging or not. Perhaps even other medical references but one step at a time :)

This is awesome! I was meaning to do something similar to this.

Doing some sniffing on this topic, I came upon a thread on the BIS studio forum:
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?140223-Nametag-script

Doing slight modifications, I was able to render in text that would display a name tag, distance, and whatever other properties you would like (configurable)
I am currently writing this for people who are marked as friendlies on Epoch, so within 20m of the player, they will be able to see the name tag, health condition (good, well, bad), and make some features for whatever server admins feel like adding in.

Here's an image:

ArmA2OA.2013-08-21.15-51-18-44.png

• 3 weeks later...
Planned features:

Humanity Value under a certain range.

Still considering the implications of adding extra information to the features. All suggestions welcome.

Why not simply use colours (edit: coloured name-tags) to show that?

- Blue: Survivor

- Red: Bandit

- Green: Hero

Why not simply use colours (edit: coloured name-tags) to show that?

- Blue: Survivor

- Red: Bandit

- Green: Hero

Cannot edit the cuttext color, thats why this has not been done.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/cutText

Hint box text can be colored though, but that is in the top right of the screen. I remember seeing someplace another method of displaying text on the screen to a player, that can be colored, I just have to find that page I read ages ago, but it still might not be the size or location required for a simple name plate.

Honestly not had time to look at this but thats a shame Armifer.

Could simply be done on humanity still but adding a suffix to the tag:

"Bandit: ToejaM"

"Survivor: ToejaM"

"Hero: ToejaM"

Could even be done with the humanity count:

"Bandit(-135252): ToejaM

It is a shame that theres no colours for cuttext.

Could however add it as an 'addaction" that appears (when clicked does nothing, or infact could bring up the player journal in the top right) - this could be coloured.

Looks like this idea is already going in the next changes!

http://dayzepoch.com/forum/index.php?%2Ftopic%2F2004-change-log-1024%2F

I was playing wasteland last night and meant to look at the mission file as that had different green coloured tags but its not needed now.

Not sure if anything else could be done with the tagging system. Perhaps an indication of blood count and medical state somehow, I dont think an exact quantity would be great but a rough idea in the form of a worded message: You see ToejaM, he looks very pale. An extra menu option when close that you can use that displays more information, or displays more information if you're tagged as friendlies and at a closer distance.

Who knows but this is a great edition to the Epoch mod (not that I'm bias! :D)

New opt-in color coded name tag system that allows you to choose to show your name or not. Your name is displayed color coded based on your humanity. Red text equals -5000 humanity and blue +5000 everyone else is displayed with white text. Thanks go to ToeJam and Gimmic for the ideas. The distance of this tag defaults to 25 meters and can be changed with DZE_HumanityTargetDistance.

Did not really want to add more to the change log and should combine all this for the wiki.

After you login you get two addaction options: "Display Name (On) | (Off)". Choosing "Off" will never show your name to others unless you have tagged another player as friendly then they will see your name in green. "On" will display your name to others using color coded text based on your humanity. Red equals -5000 humanity and blue +5000 everyone else is displayed with white. Green if the player has tagged as friendly. Once you choose you cannot change the option until you login again. 

The size of the text gets smaller the further away you are from the player and basically maxes out at 50 meters with a text size of 10%. At the current max of 25m this makes the min text size 50%, stepping every 5 meters up to 100% at 5 meters or less. 

Because of the nametag system, people who have been teleported to by cheaters, griefed in the trader areas and other places. Those exploiting wall glitching, have all been named, shamed, banned and dealt with via the nametag system.

It has on quite a few occasions, allowed moderators (not full admins, they moderate the chat mostly) to ban skiddies.

It has meant that ESP is not needed, only in rare cases meaning admins on my server do not need it.

I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to add a similar line in for executing it for specific playerUIDs to have the nametags up always or make it a script for admins to execute when needed via the admin tool so its not a big deal really. Infact I think thats what I'll do.

I'd like to second this. We use Toeja's short range nametags exactly for this purpose: giving griefed players the possibility to identify the griefers so we can sanction those when they have broken server rules.

Without a possibility to identify violators any rule becomes moot.

Perhaps one could add a config variable (set server side) that will enforce the display of tags at ranges below 5m?

waitUntil {alive player};
sleep 10;
adminPanel2UIDS = ["XXXXX"];
 if(!isDedicated) then {
 if (getPlayerUID player in adminPanel2UIDS) then { ADDACTION NAMETAGS... blah blah - ill write it when the update comes out and see if it works but it should be possible to add it to a menu or a scroll option :)

Did not really want to add more to the change log and should combine all this for the wiki.

After you login you get two addaction options: "Display Name (On) | (Off)". Choosing "Off" will never show your name to others unless you have tagged another player as friendly then they will see your name in green. "On" will display your name to others using color coded text based on your humanity. Red equals -5000 humanity and blue +5000 everyone else is displayed with white. Green if the player has tagged as friendly. Once you choose you cannot change the option until you login again. 

The size of the text gets smaller the further away you are from the player and basically maxes out at 50 meters with a text size of 10%. At the current max of 25m this makes the min text size 50%, stepping every 5 meters up to 100% at 5 meters or less. 

Any way to retain the old friendly orb system as an option win tandem with this too? So once they are past the 50m or 25m name tag distance we can still see the green orb on their hands? An option for that in the init.sqf would be great, or just keep the green orbs too.

• 1 year later...